Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Planner Her Counts Blessings

Everyone is in trouble now... it's 11:42 PM, husband and child are asleep, Ron left his computer up for me, and I just found the thing to click to post something! No, don't fret - I have to be brief(ish) because I still to make my REAL journal entry for today (you know, the pen & paper thing).

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. I have already seen God's hand at work (as well as His breath-taking HANDIWORK) on this trip. Our missteps have been minor, but our blessings have been great! Sometimes little things, like a Lincoln Navigator rental car on Oahu that let us all ride together (in luxury!), ... sometimes big things, like an upgrade to the penthouse for the anniversary couple, which gorgeous balcony views, lots of space & a gathering place for the 3 families (tonight we had dinner at their dining room table and the hotel brought up locally made chocolate ice cream for our dessert).

Speaking as the "trip planner", so far, so good. :-)
We had in mind to go to Kauai, but the ONE specific request was for Pearl Harbor, on Oahu. And because we'd missed Diamond Head last time, and Waikiki Beach is THE famous tourist beach, it worked out well to spend 3 nights there. Of course, we didn't get to see all of Oahu, but we got a nice taste of it's scenic side, as well as it's tourist side. That was the "city beach" part of our stay - our hotel was pretty standard, in the heart of downtown Waikiki, in the midst of throngs of people and shops and restaurants and lots of activity. We mananged to do & see a lot in the short time we were there.

Now we're into the more relaxing part of our trip, having moved from "city hotel" in the heart of the most populated "gathering place" (Oahu), to secluded "resort" on the quiet "garden isle" (Kauai). I LOVE resort hotels... but as a first-timer here, I am going to push myself to get out and see the island... at least a little bit. :-) I knew this hotel should be NICE and wanted it to be a nice surprise for the group when we got here, but it sort of blew us away! We all have balconies overlooking the ocean & the pool, the rooms are very spacious (especially after our city hotel), the pool is just gigantic, and the scenery is stunning. I could be completely happy doing nothing this week but sitting on the balcony and watching the water.

We have 2 vans rented here and our first outing will be tomorrow. Most of us head to the north shore - sight seeing, photography, and snorkeling, while Tricia and the girls hang here for the pool & beach. (Tricia took one look at the pool and basically said "I need a pool day". I understand!!!)

I don't know if/when I'll be back on here, "blogging". (How did that become a verb and am I REALLY doing it???) But this was a quiet moment - a calm day, between the sight-seeing whirlwind of Oahu and the island-scouting ventures on Kauai, and I thought I'd just say thanks for keeping us in your prayers... I'm thinking of you all back home. In our current culture, it's a rare privilege to celebrate a 50th anniversary. Ron and I KNOW to "count our blessings". (And if you're a reader of this blog, you've been counted among them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment