Sunday, July 18, 2010

Don't Blink!

Don't blink on Kauai, or you'll miss something! The scenery (and the weather!) is constantly changing. :-) For example, driving along the north road, I glimpsed/snapped this from the MOVING car window... Too breath-taking for blinking. :-)

This is at Wailua Falls, which was close to our hotel so we got to go more than once... one day this little flower was in front of the falls, and the next day it was gone!

On Tricia's birthday, we got up early to "beat the mist" that rolls in and drove up through Waimea Canyon (a truly spectacular, green "Grand Canyon"). Here are Betty & Pete, on top of the world, nearly up the Canyon.... this is to the east.


To the west, we were fortunate to see Niihau ("the Forbidden Island"), faint, but surprisingly captivating... It's often under cloud cover... I felt very lucky indeed, taking a zillion photos of it from different places as we traveled up.

Then we got nice views of Waimea Canyon... sorry - my camera just can't express the reality of it. ... and we got to see the mist start to roll in.

I'm not kidding - at the top, we walked up to the last possible place to stop and WHILE we were turning on the camera, in rolled a big white cloud (?). One second before this, we could see the water down the part of the canyon walls over this rail. :-) Then it rained on us. We got it all!
The last day on Oahu, earlybird here saw a full rainbow over Waikiki Beach. Hawaii could be called the Rainbow State - rainbows every day! I found myself wanting to look up a LOT. :)
Our last day on Kauai, I had my coffee on the lanai watching this rainbow. Sometimes it would be doubled. At 6:30, I gave in and called up to the vice-presidential ali'i suite (Betty & Pete), who I knew were often up early, and from their room's mulitple lanais (and above the palm trees), you could see the whole thing. They said it was the brightet rainbow they'd ever seen, lighting up the green mountainside behind it (to the left of my photo/room's view). God was very generous to us... I think He personalized some of these rainbows for each of us. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment